- Country: FRANCE
- Region: CHAMPAGNE
- Color: White
- Producer: BOLLINGER
- Sparkling: Yes
- Composition: CHAMPAGNE BLEND
- Tasting Notes: To the eyeA golden colour, distinctive of black grape varietiesVery fine bubblesTo the noseA beautiful aromatic complexityRipe fruit and spicy aromasHints of roasted apples, apple compote and peachesTo the palateA subtle combination of structure, length and vivacityBubbles like velvetPear, brioche and spicy aromas, notes of fresh walnut
- Technical Notes: The blend rests essentially upon the Pinot Noir of grands crus and premiers crus The blends of Special Cuvée are on average composed of:60% Pinot Noir 25% Chardonnay 15% Pinot Meunier 5 to 10% of reserve wines are incorporated into the blend. These reserve wines are kept by cru; by grape variety; by vintage, in magnums corked with real cork. This method is unique in Champagne and it enables Bollinger to keep its reserve wines for a long period without losing either their freshness or character. The veritable "library" of wines gives the House of Bollinger a vast and extremely precise palette to use for blending : the cru, grape variety, or year required can be selected to add the necessary touch to the blend for the Special Cuvée.
- Rating: Aromatic, with accents of bread dough, smoked almond and creme de cassis, this creamy Champagne is lightly chalky in texture and framed by firm acidity, with flavors of glazed apricot, orange blossom and rich hints of clover honey and coffee liqueur. Drink now through 2022.-A.N.
(60% Pinot Noir, 25% Chardonnay and 15% Pinot Meunier; 8 g/l dosage; L1403801): Pale yellow. Toasty aromas of apple and pear nectar are complemented by hints of toffee, honey and orange zest. Full and expansive on the palate, offering ripe orchard and pit fruit flavors and an undercurrent of smoky minerals and buttered toast. Smooth and gently spicy on the clinging, nicely focusd finish.
The Bollinger style is always rich, food friendly and impressive. This wine is all of those things, with power and intensity of flavor along with ripe fruit, a layer of toastiness and a dry aftertaste. This is a style of wine that can take even more bottle aging. Score: 94. -Roger Voss, December 01, 2005.
Here the expressive nose is extremely yeasty and deeply pitched with delicious, vibrant, and crisp middle weight flavors that are precise and clean on the long finish. This is a beautiful and relatively robust effort and I like the way everything is delivered with grace and authority with a firm but not aggressive backbone of acidity. This should be high on the list for those who enjoy cellaring NV examples as it will easily support 10 to 15 years of aging but can also be enjoyed now. A very solid effort at this level. Score: 91. -Allen Meadows,
No Specific Tasting Note. Score: 89. -Robert Parker, December 1994.
- Rating Robert Parker: 89
- Rating Wine Enthusiast: 94
- Rating Wine Spectator: 93